Katherine's Westbank Strata
For a signature brunch dish, you will need to try Katherine's Westbank Strata. It is a mouth watering make-ahead dish. You'll want to try these individual serving egg strata's that can get you ahead of the punch the night before. You'll need 10 or 12 oz small baking dishes. We found ours at @williamsandsonoma /Apilco Tableware (short Souffle small #2. )which will run about $15.00 a piece. You will find all kinds of other uses for them from Crème Brulee, Strata or Mousse.
Ingredients (will make 2 servings):
- butter for greasing the baking dishes
- 4 thick slices of sourdough (or whatever kind of bread you like)
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 8 ounces of Fontina cheese (grated about 1 cup)
- Dash of Sea Salt
- Add a 11/2 tsp of black pepper freshly ground
- 8 asparagus stalks
- 4 thin slices of mortadella or prosciutto
- 1 tsp of onion salt
- 1 tsp of fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of finely snipped chives
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter your sweet little baking dishes.
- Remove the crusts from the bread cutting into slices making sure to have about 3 cups.
- Lay the slices across the baking dish, overlapping. They will hang over the side.
- Now you will want to whisk your milk and eggs together stirring in half of the cheese with salt and pepper. Reserve 1/4 of the egg mixture back but pour 3/4 of it onto the bread.
- Cut the asparagus to 3 inch pieces or to where the stem breaks breaks very easily. Do not use the stems.
- Ok here comes the Mortadella. Layer it on top of the bread and place asparagus on top. Top off the remaining egg mixture over the dish. Bake the strata 30-35 minutes and sprinkle with the chopped chives - try and not overbake it. (You can cover with plastic wrap and bake in the morning also)
- When buying baking dishes, you may also use BonJour Chef's Crème Brulee dishes set of 4 at @bedbathandbeyond. They have a lovely fluted edge and are made of porcelain. About $13.00 for a set of 4. We styled the strata with snippets of chives and sprinkled it with some leftover cheese. We also added a precious antique server from @vintageinfatuation with some of the chives on the tray to give it some extra color. In the background you can see the whole beets peeping over the edge and I often use fruit and garden vegetables for my centerpieces matching the colors of my dishes with the veggies. They give it an organic feel to your table adding textures and depth to your tablescapes beyond just ordinary candles and flowers.
- Just a shout out to our own organic grocery store in Jackson Hole - @jwgrocer who I regularly skim for unique and freshest veggies in town. You'll want to visit this store when you are in town buying everything from European bakery items to organic lotions and cremes. Their take-home meals are fabulous saving you a night of cooking....